Re: Separate Storage / UNIX groups?

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 06:44:15 EST

Up until a couple of years ago UNIX admins took care of storage. Now,
however, we have a separate storage team who are responsible for all storage
attached via the SAN. That's assorted RAID boxes and tape libraries, for
both UNIX and Windows. They also look after TSM and Legato software
configuration. (We (UNIX admin) would install TSM software and do some
initial configuration - particularly for clients - but the Storage team have
ultimate responsibility for it. In our terms, they're the "Service
Provider".)

SSA storage is a bit odd. In theory the Storage team are responsible for
this at our main sites but in practice they don't often get involved. We're
phasing it out, anyway.

Backups (other than mksysbs) are the immediate responsibility of one of our
Operations teams, (they look after all scheduling). So they'd set up backup
jobs but if anything serious went wrong they'd pass the problem on to the
Storage team.

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.